If you live in a high traffic area, namely a neighborhood where kids come from all over to ask for treats, not tricks, then you may go through bags upon bags of candy before turning out the lights on Halloween night. That can set you back by $40, $50 or much more, a costly expense that may have you looking at alternatives to candy. Regardless, don’t make the treats yourself – watchful parents will simply toss out what is homemade or poorly wrapped.
Short of keeping your lights off all night and your doors locked, there are some money saving steps you can take to ensure that you’re not tricked into spending too much for your Halloween candy this year.
Buy in bulk
– This goes without saying, but should be said anyway: If you buy in bulk, you’ll save a bundle. Candy confectioners have learned that consumers are skittish when it comes to buying sweets for Halloween and have come up with five pound or heavier bags filled with confections. Not every retailer carries the bulky bags, but WalMart, Target and BJs are among those that do.
Stick with one candy
– Unless the bulky bag carries a variety of candies, you would do better sticking with one treat instead of purchasing a variety of confections. What’s cheapest, but still desired by trick or treaters? That may be packs of chewing gum which can be bought in bulk. Check out the vending displays at your warehouse club to compare prices and save.
Give out treat coupons
– Some retailers provide treat booklets with coupons that can be redeemed for food or toys. Some McDonald’s franchises, for example, have sold such booklets for $1, which have included coupons for fries, shakes and soft drinks. Give out entire books or pull out coupons and give these individually. Not all franchises participate and some of McD’s competitors may have similar offers this year.
Trunk or treat
– Some homeowners are fed up with swarms of unsupervised kids coming to their doors and simply turn out the light. Instead of not giving out candy, these people head to their local church and participate in a “trunk or treat” program. Under this arrangement, people who give out treats simply back their cars into a circle, pop the trunk and dispense treats to children who go from car to car. This works great for families who don’t want their children begging candy from strangers and who aren’t keen on kids staying out late, especially on a school night. Everything is over and done with within the hour.
Give out toys
– Yes, candy is dandy. But, candy also messes with young teeth. Head to your local dollar store or other off-price retailer and find toys that are sure to interest children. A pack of playing cards, a bouncy ball, action figures or a puzzle can be had for cheap. Do something different as kids get plenty of candy.
– If you collect loose change, then don’t buy candy. Pick up a box of quart size zip lock bags and place 25 pennies in each bag. You can add a small treat if you like or simply give out these bags to youngsters. They’ll appreciate the jingle and will add your donation with all of the other cash they get. For kicks, throw in extra and larger coins in every fourth or fifth bag.
If you live in a neighborhood where few kids come trick or treating, then consider getting together with your neighbors and throwing a cookout. Follow that up with treats for all of the costumed kids and you’ll have a night that is truly a scream.
- Contains one (1) 33.9-ounce, 60-piece bag of Fun Size M&M'S Milk Chocolate Candy, Peanut M&M'S Candy, TWIX Candy and SNICKERS Chocolate Bars
- Enjoy delicious variety with an assortment of chocolate candy
- Share these MARS Chocolate favorites with friends, family or coworkers
- Assorted Candy Mix Mini Packets and Great Addition For Halloween Events
- Perfect Gift To Send To Your Friends & Family
- Includes Skittles Swedish Fish Nerds Haribo Gummy Sour Patch Twizzlers Life Savers Starburst Sweet Tarts
- Contains one (1) 67.2-ounce, 240-piece stand-up bag with an assortment of MARS Chocolate Minis Size Chocolate Bars
- Features SNICKERS Candy Bars, TWIX Caramel Cookie Bar Candy, 3 MUSKETEERS Chocolate Bars and MILKY WAY Chocolate Candy
- These bite-size chocolate candy pieces are great for holiday parties, the office, Easter or birthday parties
Last update on 2019-06-08 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API