Coupled with the hassle of dividing personal and financial possessions, having to constantly see the person you are divorcing can be a stressful reminder of the failure of your marriage. For this reason, physical distance from one another can often greatly help reduce anxiety during a divorce.
Physical distance can also have some negative effects in the case where you might share children, see certain family members less often, or lose touch with each other. Here are some ways physical distance can help or hinder during divorce proceedings and what to keep in mind.
Regardless of whether you own or rent your home, one or both parties will be expected to move out when you file for divorce. If you can agree on who’s going, try to schedule that person some time to pack their stuff while the other partner is gone. If there are items that belong to both people, collect those items in one place so they can be quickly sorted and agreed upon in a single span of time. This will reduce feelings of guilt associated with seeing your soon to be ex.
Though you often have the choice of delivering divorce papers yourself, it’s best to let the lawyer mail them. This avoids awkward interactions that can lead to stress and anger in one or both parties. You can also schedule that any signing and notarizing of paperwork be done at separate appointments to reduce the amount of time spent together. If you need to go over any of these issues together before signing, it might be best to make sure you can do it in the presence of your lawyer or another third party.
Kids and Distance
In the case that children are involved in the divorce, distance can sometimes be a negative. You’ll need to make sure they have access to both parents and don’t feel abandoned or left behind. If you do increase physical distance, be sure kids know how to get in touch with parents and can easily visit on their own.
Whether it’s by bus, train, or car, be sure they have safe transportation and feel independent about which parent they can see at a given time. If your kids will be traveling on their own to keep parents separated, accident lawyers recommend they know how to stay safe and are old enough to travel on their own.
In Cases of Violence and Abuse
In cases where one party has been abusive to the other, it’s not only a good idea but is of utmost importance that both parties maintain their distance. This is to ensure the safety of the abused party. If the abuser refuses to respect the desire of their partner for physical distance, then a court order can be obtained that will provide legal protection for the abused spouse.
Though maintaining physical distance from one another can make the process of divorce lengthy with the need of using the mail and separate appointments, the benefits far outweigh the inconvenience. It’s important to hire a lawyer that understands your desire for physical distance from one another and encourages whatever will reduce your stress.
Though divorce marks the end of a marriage, it is also the first step in your new life. You cannot succeed with your new endeavor easily if you are constantly reminded of the past.
- Ampere Range: 20 Amp Car Audio Inline Circuit Breaker/Disconnect Fuse Holder 12V-24V DC
- Manual Reset: Visible reset lever shows open condition, unique push button reset can also be used as a kill switch. Button on circuit breaker can act...
- Protection: Prevents excessive current and overload protection for Amps, Audio electronics, audio/video systems and accessories in car, boat, marine...
- Quick Release Button: Press button on back of unit to slide open and then take out mobile phone. Press the arms on both side to clamp mobile phone...
- 360 Degree Rotation: The fully 360-degree rotation provide you with the best viewing angle.The holder ensures safe driving whether you are talking,...
- Broad Compatibility: Passed a wide range of tests, fit for most cellphones, iPhone 7 7 Plus iPhone 6s Plus, 6s, 5s, 5c ,Samsung Galaxy S6, HTC,LG,...
- Replacement: for 80 Amp DC 12V - 42V Thermal Circuit Breakers
- Ignition Protection: Protects your trolling motor from electrical damage, prevents excessive current and stops power surges from damaging Amps
- Manual Reset: Visible reset lever shows open condition, unique push button reset Can also be used as a kill switch. Button on circuit breaker can act...
Last update on 2019-06-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API