In the spirit of last minute shopping, we offer up to you 15 Christmas gift ideas.
1. Emergency kit. Likely, your car maven has jumper cables, flares and maybe even a spare battery. What he (or she) may lack is a full blown emergency kit. Emergency kits contain all the expected “ingredients” including duct tape, tools, and a flashlight. For the winter traveler, why not add in a blanket, poncho, gloves, dry food, water, and a sleeping bag?
2. A cordless hand vac. Find a hand vac that is cordless and offers authentic suction for up to 10 minutes. That’s long enough to clean out a car’s interior and a gift that won’t burn out because the motor was overused. Dyson is one of the best names out there.
3. Car light USB port. Even a classic car owner needs to stay connected. The perfect gadget here is a USB port that fits right into the cigarette lighter. It provides a connection that would otherwise not be possible for 20th century automobiles.
4. Auto heated mug. Car lovers that love a cup of joe know that if they don’t drink quickly on a cold day, their coffee will lose its warmth. An auto heated mug can be plugged into a 12-volt outlet and keep that java warm for hours.
5. Wireless key finder. You understand how difficult it can be to find your car keys, right? Well, that problem can be removed by picking up a wireless key finder from Brookstone and attaching a special key finder key chain to ensure that car keys are never gone for good.
6. Grippy pad. As the name implies, a grippy pad holds small items in place, ideal for when you drive. Mount it to a dashboard and a smartphone will stick to it. What a great idea for times when you need hands-free driving and don’t want to be distracted!
7. Car shifter car links. What will they think of next? Car shifter tie clips? These cuff links look smart and will make your man look sharp. The face features an outline of a six-speed shifter, the ideal gift for Camaro SS, BRZ, and 435i owners.
8. Car wash kit. Make your own car wish kit, by assembling a steel wash bucket and loading it with a sponge, tire cleaner, her favorite car wax and rags. Add in car wash fluid, window cleaner and a squeegee if you have the room.
9. Quality floor mats. Only the best car mats should be used in any car. WeatherTech floor mats protect car carpeting, stay in place and can be easily rinsed off, dried and put back in place.
10. Get organized. Trunk and glove box organizers are a terrific gift and are most helpful for the person who takes to the road. Help make their “office on wheels” a place where they can easily find what they want.
11. Stop distracted driving. In gift No. 6, we looked at a Grippy pad. Go one step further by investing in a Bluetooth headset for the ultimate in hands-free calling while on the go.
12. GPS on the go. For older cars, GPS was not an option when new. For car owners, a GPS mount can hold an existing smartphone or can go with a portable system that he already has.
13. Car lovers may be pet owners too. For the car lover who is also a pet owner, why not buy a carrying case for his favorite feline or preferred pooch? Other ideas include a pet barrier and, yes, a pet harness. In 2013, Subaru and the Center for Pet Safety found that one pet harness, the Sleepypod Clickit Utility Harness, offered sufficient protection for dogs.
14. Heated massage cushion. Cold morning starts mean chilled hands and frozen bottoms. Gloves do the trick for the hands, but what about the back side? Well, you can gift your car lover a heated massage cushion, offering warmth and relaxation while on the road.
15. New audio system. Older cars have audio systems that cannot compare with what are made today. New systems have MP3 players, voice-activated tuning, a USB port and subwoofers. If you’re especially generous this Christmas, why not gift her with a new audio system? Let her choose it, however. The last thing you want is to install a system that isn’t right for her.
Just getting a car-centered gift will warm the heart of some people. It may not be the gift that you would want to receive, but it is a gift that can demonstrate both your thoughtfulness and your shopping smarts.