Visual fatigue can be so uncomfortable that it affects your concentration and productivity. Here are some tips to ease eye strain and headaches.
Getting a new computer is likely out of the question. Try these simple adjustments to reduce fatigue at work.
- Adjust your computer setup to minimize reflections from overhead lighting or nearby windows.
- Position your monitor so it’s close enough to read off the screen comfortably without having to lean forward.
- Experiment with moving your monitor so the top of the screen is equal to or a little bit lower than your eye level.
Exercise Your Eyes
Focusing fatigue occurs when your eyes are continuously staring at a screen. Your eye muscles are just like other muscles in your body. Set in the same position for too long leads to muscles locking up causing discomfort and strain. When eye muscles lock up, it’s called an accommodative spasm.
To prevent this condition, employ what optometrists refer to as the 20-20-20 rule. After 20 minutes of computer work, look away and into the distance for 20 seconds. Look towards the far end of the room or at the view out the window. A variation would be to look at a far object for 10 to 15 seconds. Then look at something closer to you for 10 to 15 seconds. Return your gaze to the farther object. Repeat this pattern ten times.
Office lighting puts more strain on your eyes. If you can, take a walk outside during your break. Natural light is relaxing and can relieve symptoms of visual fatigue.
Prolonged reading on a computer screen means you will blink less. This results in dry, red eyes. Eye drops will relieve the redness but is only a temporary cure for dry eyes. Instead of relying on drops, be more aware of blinking. Every 15-20 minutes, close your eyes slowly then open slowly. Repeat this at least 10 times. Dehydration at work can cause headaches. Drinking enough water at work will keep your eyes and body hydrated.
Comprehensive Eye Exam
An annual eye exam is the best option to treat workplace eye strain according to the American Optometric Association. Uncorrected or under-corrected vision issues do affect the physical wellbeing and productivity of computer workers.
Computer vision syndrome is a collection of temporary vision-related symptoms caused by computer use. A qualified optometrist can answer your questions about this condition. The doctor can inform you what to do to relieve this condition and prevent its reoccurrence. This may include a change in your eyeglass prescription or the use of glasses designed especially for computer use.
Technology has many benefits but it has drawbacks, too. Extended viewing of computer monitors or smartphone screens takes a toll on your eyes. If it’s been more than a year since your last eye exam, schedule a visit with a vision center like All About Eyes close to you.
- Package Includes: 1 Pair - Computer Glasses with amber tinted lenses to minimize Digital Eye Strain caused by harmful blue light emitted from digital...
- Alleviates visual fatigue and discomfort from long periods of web surfing, gaming and working under fluorescent lights. These light sensitivity...
- Ultra-lightweight and flexible TR90 nylon frame material for durability and comfortable long-term wear. Casual frame design keeps you looking...
- TAKE CARE OF YOUR EYES' HEALTH. The human eye hasn't evolved to stare at a screen for many hours a day. This is why the blue light from screens leads...
- IMPROVE YOUR SLEEP. Screens prevent you from quickly falling into a restful sleep, notably by messing with you circadian cycle. This is caused by the...
- ANTI-FATIGUE + ANTI HEADACHE + BECOME MORE PRODUCTIVE. Do you ever, after spending a few hours in front of the screen, get tired eyes, maybe they...
- 💎【ANTI BLUE LIGHT GLASSES】-Blue light blocker&UV400 Lenses, Alleviates visual fatigue and discomfort from browsing mobile phones,tablets,...
- 💎【EXPLOSION PROOF POLYCARBONATE LENS】-Reduce eyestrain, anti blue ray to a great extent.Enjoy your digital time,NO worry about eye...
- 💎【RESIN SPRING HINGE FRAME】-Ultra-light and flexible resin frame material for durability and comfortable long-term wearing. Casual frame...
Last update on 2020-03-19 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Helpful article? Leave us a quick comment below.
And please give this article a rating and/or share it within your social networks.